St. Joseph Catholic School dates to 1870 when the Rev. Henry A. Picherit built a temporary school consisting of two classrooms.The original enrollment was 56 students. In the fall of 1870, five members of the Sisters of Mercy arrived from Vicksburg to staff the small school, which at the time was called St. Joseph Academy.
Sister Mary Vincent Browne was the school's first principal. The enrollment increased over the years and several rooms were added to the structure. A new school was built in 1914 under the direction of the Rev. Charles A. Oliver.
In 1932 the Sisters of Mercy turned the school property over to the Diocese of Natchez. There was a great need at that time for a new building, so plans were made for a brick structure. Bishop Richard Gerow dedicated the new school in 1933.
In the summer of 1965, the school was moved from its location on Amite Street to Boling Street. A central Junior High School was created in 1989 at a site on Holly Drive, near St. Richard Church and grammar school. This newly constructed facility housed the 7th and 8th grades.
From 1996-1998, the two campuses were temporarily located at the Holly Street location during the construction of a new campus. In the fall of 1998, the middle and high school moved to 65 acres of off Mississippi 463, about a mile west of Interstate 55 in Madison, Mississippi.
The Saint Joseph Catholic School campus, under the guidance and oversight of the Catholic Diocese of Jackson, consists of eight buildings: one for administration, three for classrooms, a self-contained cafeteria, a gymnasium, a performing arts complex and a field house.
The school campus has separate football and baseball stadiums. The school administration building is home to a library and a new campus chapel. The was blessed during the spring 2016 semester,
to Visual tour of St. Joe)